Friday, May 4, 2012

The Most Beautiful Baby in the World

I had my first ultrasound this morning and what an incredible experience it was! The ultrasound tech first did an abdominal ultrasound where she was able to see that the pregnancy was intrauterine. Cue the first round of tears. Spyro sat at my feet and rubbed one to console me through my (happy) tears. Then the doctor came in and they did all kinds of painful things with a transvaginal ultrasound wand. I can't even describe the level of pain I felt. But it was worth it when we got to see this:



Ignore the camera flash glare. My baby doesn't have a halo or anything like that.

If you can see the round dot thing above the flash glare, that is the sac. And kind of drowned out by that flash is our baby. I am 5w6d today, but the baby measures ahead very slightly at 6w exactly. And even though I had braced myself to not see a heartbeat because it's still early, Baby A surprised me by having a very strong heartbeat already. S/he had a heart rate of 109 bpm. Cue round 2 of tears.

I later met with my OB nurse who informed me that I have a uterine fibroid . . . first time I've heard that! Luckily it's still small. I'm hoping it stays small so there are no complications with the pregnancy and everything is fine. The nurse thinks it shouldn't pose any problems, so I am not feeling too upset (even after a potentially disastrous consultation with Dr. Google, which then kicked up every bit of hypochondria and fear in me).

I feel like the happiest person in the world today. We are already so in love with this baby, it's ridiculous.

2 comments:

  1. OMG!!! this is sooo beautiful!! I am so happy for you!! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you hold your breath until the image came up? I know I did!

    I learned about my fibroids for the first time during my pregnancy too - but not until my anatomy scan at 20 weeks. And mine were pretty big, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete